Today the second TTE550 was hooked up and the engine put back into the car.
I’m finding a suggestion to install the axles while the engine is a couple of inches above the mounts, and the transmission brackets a few inches above the tranny mounts, to be a good one. Turning the wheel fully left or right depending upon the side being worked, allows the axle to go in, and with the engine hanging from the hoist there’s enough freeplay to push it slightly if needed. This sped up the process of reinstalling the engine substantially.
Getting ahead of the game, I’ve got plans to put some different turbochargers in the car but at the moment haven’t established exactly what they’ll look like. The motor is coming out so I can work on a few accessories and swap exhaust manifolds then hopefully within a couple of weeks will have a different set of turbochargers to evaluate.
A lesson learned from this time around, figure out how you are going to plug the braided stainless slave cylinder line BEFORE you install the product. I wanted to leave the metal slave cylinder in place since I had put some RTV around the housing to keep dust from getting into the bell housing around the slave cylinder. This meant disconnecting the AN fitting that goes to the metal slave cylinder. With the stock unit I had a small tube that would slide over the end to plug it when disconnected, not so with this AN fitting. After disconnecting the fitting and not having any luck holding the line up to keep the fluid in, or being able to find a suitable plug, I let the end of the line drain into a waste container. Next time around I’ll have a proper plug to put on the end of the line.
I got around this weekend to installing some RS6 EGT’s in my S4. Reason for these is that with some *minor* changes to the software the full range of exhaust gas temperatures can be recorded via the ME7Logger instead of only seeing EGT’s display when something is going wrong, which is the case with the stock EGT sensors and stock S4 tune.
Up front a word of thanks to Jonathan, Johnny Bravo, for the suggestion to do this and pointing me in the right direction when I got started. At the tail end of the project Daz, DDillenger, was a *big* help in getting the software changes, something that required delving into TunerPro and XDF files in ways that I’d not done previously.
Here’s a look at the sensors fresh out of the box.
After the hardware install and updating the ECU software I wanted to confirm that everything was working as expected.
Here’s how the EGT’s varied over a drive.
And then a pull just shy of 6500 rpm with K03’s. This was the first pull to the 6000 rpm range that I have done since re-installing the AMD intercoolers.
The chart shows AFR, manifold boost pressure, and the new RS6 EGT sensor readings.
All in all the project went smoothly thanks to the help I had.